Automation is the key to a profitable, scalable e-commerce business.
But that doesn’t mean you have to send every task overseas or offload it to a third-party vendor.
Often, automating your business just means hiring the right people to handle more of the work for you.
And the perfect people could be from your very own town.
Or, as in Ed Dassie’s case, they could be someone who’s already part of your household.
See, Ed made the decision NOT to offload his prep and shipping to a third-party service. In part, he wanted to be able to deal with any issues quickly and efficiently.
Just as important, though, Ed is a control freak. (He said so himself.)
He just couldn’t imagine having such an important part of his business handled by someone else.
So he made the wise decision to hire locally. What he didn’t know was that the perfect hire was actually already working for him!
Turns out, his son’s caregiver Brynn had the right mindset and skills to take over the prep and shipping processes. Not only that, she’s been making improvements all along the way.
(And Ed has been smart enough to listen when she makes suggestions.)
So how do they make it all work? Even while handling nearly $500k in product?
Brian Cummings, our Director of Training and Coaching sat down with Ed and Brynn to get a peek behind the curtain. And they revealed what it takes to keep the machine running without stepping on each other’s toes.
Watch the interview below to discover:
- How to maximize your space so you can keep your processes running like an assembly line (without it feeling like you’re working on one)
- The main advantages to running prep and ship in-house instead of sending it off to a third-party center
- Why Ed has a 3-point checklist for every item that goes to Amazon… and how he uses it to reduce mistakes and keep his rating high
- How to keep the entire operation from going off the rails when something unexpected happens
- The number one quality to look for in a shipping and prep employee (hint: it’s not about a specific skill set)
- Plus, get Brian’s secret tip for finding someone who has amazing organizational skills AND flexible work hours
This interview is full of helpful tips on how to manage a team, automate more of your business, AND have fun doing it. Watch the video below to check it out.